Smoke detectors save lives, and every home should have smoke detectors. Having a working smoke alarm needs to be a priority as you make your home a safe place!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home.
- Test your smoke alarms every month.
- When a smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside.
- Replace all smoke alarms in your home every 10 years
- Smoke alarms should be installed at least 10 feet (3 meters) from a cooking appliance to minimize false alarms when cooking.
- Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings (remember, smoke rises). Wall-mounted alarms should be installed not more than 12 inches away from the ceiling (to the top of the alarm).
- Don’t install smoke alarms near windows, doors, or ducts where drafts might interfere with their operation.
- Never paint smoke alarms. Paint, stickers, or other decorations could keep the alarms from working.
- Keep manufacturer’s instructions for reference.
Safety first when it comes to your home and family. Take some notes and apply this to your routine home maintenance list! Let me know if you have any questions or comments.