We would all like to be more efficient in our homes, but some of us don’t know where to start. This post provides a checklist with some tips that you can easily apply to your home. These tips will save you money as you make your home more energy efficient.
- Install a programmable thermostat to save up to 10% on cooling and heating costs.
- Wash clothes in cold water to save money
- Clean or change filters regularly. A dirty furnace or A/C filter will slow down air flow and make the system work harder to keep you warm or cool.
- Seal air leaks and properly insulate to save up to 20% on heating and cooling bills, while also increasing home comfort.
- Switch your ceiling fan to turn in a counter-clockwise direction in the summer; in the winter, run it at low speed, but clockwise.
- Dust your fridge the next time you dust your house. Check the coils behind the refrigerator — and use coil vacuums or dusters to clean it off and keep costs down.
- Reduce the strain on your AC by applying reflective coating in attic. This will help you save by decreasing the amount of heat coming into your home.
These are some practical tips that will make a big difference. Then, you can keep adding to your efficient ways as you become more aware of ways to save!